The chapel grounds are dotted with symbolic graves commemorating the heroes of the 1956 Revolution, soldiers who have defended Hungary through the centuries, and Hungarians and Americans who dedicated much of their lives to strengthening transatlantic relations. There are also memorials to the Hungarians who fought in the American Revolution and the Civil War - simple but powerful reminders of the intertwined histories of Hungary and the United States. The crypt below and the cemetery next to the chapel are the eternal resting places for many Hungarians and Americans who worked to improve Hungarian-American ties.
Laurilla Teleki was born Laurilla Elizabeth Howie on March 11, 1940 to Mildred Fordham and Graham Howie. The youngest of three children, she grew up in the small town of New Smyrna Beach on Florida's east coast. Studying early childhood education at the University of Florida, she met Pal Geza Teleki, a newly arrived immigrant who had fled communist Hungary during the revolution of 1956. They married on December 19, 1960. Mrs. Teleki became a school teacher and taught elementary school in Gainesville, Florida; Baton Rouge, Louisiana; Vienna, Virginia; and later at the Australian school in Budapest, Hungary. Mrs. Teleki devoted her life to teaching, caring for her family, and promoting Hungarian-American ties.